While boasting its majestic presence sprawling over a century, Queen’s Theatre London has been witnessed to many remarkable incidents of the history. It was built in a period when theatres have evolved as one of the prime modes of entertainment in London. There were many classic one already in existence and few more were added up to share the increasing burden. There were many trends associated with the theatres those days and while being built up, the Queen’s Theatre also became a part of some of them.
One such tradition was to get the structured built as twins or pair; the notable theatre architect W.G.R. Sprague had attained a mastery over the art. Having built Novello and the Aldwych towards the beginning of nineteenth century, he has proven the excellence of his calibre to the world. When it was decided to built the Queen’s as a pair to the Hicks, Sprague was the most obvious choice for the designs. The venues stills stand today, though differing in looks now, neighbouring each other, while Hicks has been named as the Gielgud, Queen’s still bear the same name.
As it was followed by most of the edifices built those days, the venue was also named after the ruling monarch of Britain. Its owners those days have thought of naming it as the Central Theater, but the plans were later abandoned following a long discussion. Queen Alexandria was the then Queen of Britain and the structure was named after her while a portrait of her was hanged on its foyer. However, unlike many of them, it didn’t undergo many name changes and has been known with the same one since it was first inaugurated on 8th October 1907.