Crealy Great Adventure Park, near Exeter is hosting a children’s birthday party to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Diabetes UK.
The South West branch of Diabetes UK have organised the children’s party at Crealy to mark the charity’s 75th birthday on Saturday 10th January.
Two hundred parents and children from across the South West will be joining the celebrations. The families will enjoy a birthday buffet with Crealy Bear and a day of fun in the Park.
The South West office of Diabetes UK has invited member families from Devon, Dorset, Cornwall and Somerset to celebrate their 75 years of research, support and fundraising.
Diabetes UK South West Regional Manager, Jan Tyrrell, said: “This is a ‘thank you’ event to our parent and children supporters and a celebration of what we have achieved over the last 75 years. Back in 1934 insulin had not long been discovered and was not freely available.
“A child who developed diabetes would not necessarily have been able to afford the insulin they needed to live. Treatments and understanding of the condition at the time meant that many children with diabetes developed serious complications such as blindness and led very short lives. The Diabetic Association campaigned for better treatments, funded life-saving research, provided essential information and built networks of supporters.
On Saturday, on the anniversary of our launch, we want to celebrate what has been achieved with children from across the South West – and Crealy Great Adventure Park has generously helped to make this possible. We are looking forward to a great day!”
There are 195,000 people with Diabetes living in the South West with 28,000 in Devon. A further estimated 70,000 people have the condition but are not aware of it in the South West.
Angela Wright, Managing Director of Crealy said, “We are delighted to welcome Diabetes UK to Crealy for their 75th Birthday Celebrations.
“We chose Diabetes UK as our Charity of the Year because Diabetes can affect anyone, from all walks of life. Diabetes is an important issue for people of all ages, all cultures and all backgrounds, however through awareness full, active and fun lifestyles continue regardless! Crealy is all about spending active time together as a family…but ultimately Crealy is all about having fun!”
Sarah Cummins, Fundraising Manager at Diabetes UK South West, said: ” Diabetes is a serious condition, which can lead to complications, however Diabetes UK helps people realise they can continue to lead fun and action packed lifestyles! The birthday party at Crealy will be a great celebration for everyone involved!”
Notes to Editors:
• Crealy is giving Free Family Days in 2009, with 7 days entry for the price of 1 for all guests, giving maximum family value alongside the famous guarantee of maximum family fun. Twenty Magical Adventures commemorate the 20 years of operation, 1989-2009, for this family-owned business dedicated to extending the joy of a country childhood, promoting understanding and respect for animals and the environment, encouraging safe adventurous play.
• Crealy Great Adventure Parks are the South West’s favourite family attractions. The award-winning Parks were first established in 1989 by Angela Wright, MBE and her family, as a recreation of her country childhood. Angela was raised at Hayes Barton in East Devon, the birthplace of Sir Walter Raleigh. She grew up with an understanding and respect for animals and farming together with a strong sense of the importance of adventurous play. The Parks’ mission is Maximum Family Fun Guaranteed and the essence is to make the most of the fleeting childhood years. The Parks are family-owned and operated, second only to the publicly funded Eden Project in visitor numbers within the South West of England.
• Devon’s Crealy welcomes up to 500,000 visitors every year, with El Pastil Loco Coaster, Tidal Wave log flume, Queen Bess Pirate Ship, Techno Race Karts, Miniature Spotted, Shetland and Dartmoor Ponies, 75,000 sq. ft. of indoor play and 100 acres of countryside to explore,all within six Realms of magical adventures. New for 2009 is Go WILD! – a high level play area set within the unique Dina’s Lost World.
• Cornwall’s Crealy is home to Cornwall’s Heavy Horse Centre. This former silver mine is located between Padstow and Wadebridge, within sight of the sea, and attractions include the Raging Rivers WaterCoaster, Thunder Falls log-flume, Viking Warrier Pirate Ship and Pony Express Ride and the country’s biggest outdoor adventure zone, all within Six Realms of Cornish magical adventures. The BEAST Lives On in 2009 – Cornwall’s wildest ride.
• Family time is always Maximum Funtime Guaranteed at Crealy Great Adventure Parks in Devon and Cornwall, the favourite family days out in the South West of England.
• The Parks each have six unique areas of magic and adventures, nature and animals, action and heritage, full of real magic and safe adventures, featuring log flumes, coasters, pirate ships, miniature ponies and heavy horses, go karts. Indoor and outdoor play zones, majestic falcons and baby animals.
• The best days are Crealy days – the greenest, cleanest, happiest, tastiest, funniest family adventures and always best for value too. Family owned and operated since 1989. Crealy is the first visitor attraction in the world with the aim of being carbon neutral by 2010 and holds the Green Tourism Business Scheme Silver Award.
• Known as both the friendliest and the best-value Parks in Devon and Cornwall, over 10,000 local people are Crealy Members. The Parks have on-site five star holiday accommodation too, with more planned.
• Location Message: Crealy Great Adventure Parks are easily found, located just minutes from major routes yet nestled in outstanding countryside and near beautiful beaches. Road links are excellent, with Devon’s Crealy being served by public transport every 30 minutes. Buy your Park tickets online and Crealy plants a tree for you, offsetting your travel impact. Newquay and Exeter airports are only minutes away and have daily links with an increasing number of airports around the UK. For more information visit www.airsouthwest.com and www.flybe.com.
• There’s so much to enjoy when you holiday or live in beautiful Devon and Cornwall but best of all is maximum family funtime at Crealy Great Adventure Parks, the most memorable, friendliest family destinations in the south west of England. Visit www.crealy.co.uk for all the inside information.
• Diabetes UK is the leading charity for the three million people in the UK with diabetes. It is our 75th Anniversary in 2009 and events to mark this special occasion will be taking place around the country. We fund more than £7 million of research every year as well as campaigning and providing information and support. More than half a million people in the UK have diabetes but do not know it. During our 75th Anniversary year, we hope you will be able to join in and support us so that we can carry on improving the lives of people with diabetes into the future. For more information visit www.diabetes.org.uk
• In the UK, there are currently 2.5 million people diagnosed with diabetes and it is estimated that more than half a million people have the condition but do not know it.
• The Diabetes UK Careline (0845 120 2960) offers information and support on any aspect of managing diabetes. The line is a lo-call number and opens Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm (operates a translation service). Recorded information on a number of diabetes-related topics is also available on this number 24 hours a day.
• Membership of Diabetes UK is from £22 a year with special rates available. In addition to our bi-monthly magazine Balance, members receive support and the latest information on diabetes care and treatments to help them live a healthy life.